The Guggenheim opens a new retrospective exhibition highlighting the centrality of Kandinsky’s work to the history of the institution. Solomon Guggenheim began collecting Kandinsky’s paintings in 1929, and soon the work would become the backbone of a decision to start a museum focusing on non-objective art. The timing of the exhibition coincides with the 50 year anniversary of Wright’s Guggenheim building, a fitting celebration for both institution and an artist that helped inspire its creation.
The retrospective draws from several museum and a number of private collections. It will remain on view until January 3, 2010.
Click here for Roberta Smith’s full review of the exhibition.