Arkitip has announced their 53rd issue, dubbed “X: Mark of Collaboration”.
“The poet Ryunosuke Satoro said, “Individually, we are one drop. Together we are an ocean.”
This philosophy is the inspiration for this issue…an exploration, celebration, commentary on the joys of collaboration through our own personal lens. People collaborate on many levels. It occurs in nature, technology, science, art, music and politics. For this issue of Arkitip, we asked artists, technologists, writers and friends to show us a recent collaboration or to create something new. Creative work for this issue originated from New York, Los Angeles, Tokyo, San Francisco, Shanghai, Seattle, Paris, Miami, Cape Town and Portland.
Tokyo in the 90s was in what seemed to be an eternal funk. As usual, it was the young people that offered hope and creative juice to society, thus a highly entrepreneurial subculture began to discover it own influence. These new creators and designers were born from a tight group of friends, so although they were perhaps competitors, they often joined forces to create new products and identities for the young.
Only in Tokyo does consumerism have such spiritual power. Thus the emergence of double brands, where products were able to take on dual characteristics and unique personalities. Soon the “X” in Japan’s subculture became a symbol of personal collaboration. A good collaboration starts with an inspired idea, a desire for unexpected results and mutual respect or pure love of another’s work.
A great collaboration occurs at that nexus of unforeseen possibilities and positive friction. Grace, openness and honesty can achieve extra-ordinary results. The most satisfying experiences in our careers, as a Cultural Engineer and a Creative Director, have been these moments. – Alex Calderwood + John C Jay”
This issue comes packaged with a John Maeda x Becky Bermont hand numbered print piece and is now available for pre-order at Arkitip with an estimated ship date of December 28, 2009.
Full Arkitip Issue No. 0053X details follow.
* Gus Van Sant x Paige Powell
* John Maeda x Becky Bermont
* Akio Iida
* Aaron Koblin x Takashi Kawashima
* Apolis Activism x Filson x Invisible Children
* Bruce Wolf x Ying
* Coleman x Goldkrand
* Howie Pyro x Z-Trip
* Jeremy Pelley x Fritz Mesenbrink x Mathew Foster
* Lisa Chacón x Jared Lovejoy x Jason Harler
* Matt Black x Alex Asher Daniel
* Roman Alonso x Carlos Morera
* Shawn Wolfe x Houston
* Wei Wei x Don Hui
* Ambra Medda x Silvia Fendi
* Yves Behar x Ethan Imboden
* Tom Sachs x Camilla Deterre
* Editors + Creative Directors:
* Alex Calderwood
* John C Jay
* Producer + Editorial:
* Caterina deCarlo
* Art Directors:
* Stephen Giem
* John C Jay
* 7.5 x 10 In. (19.05 x 25.4 cm)
* 96 pages + covers
* Four color offset printed, perfect bound
* Hand packaged & numbered ltd. edition of 1500
* Packaged with:
* John Maeda and Becky Bermont hand numbered print piece
* 7.5 x 10 in. (19.05 x 25.4 cm)
* Black imprint, 130 lb. cover stock
* Hand numbered in a ltd. edition of 1500