The Tugendhat family commissioned Mies Van der Rohe to build their Czechoslovakia home in 1928. A lavish project funded by a seemingly endless budget, the family would eventually be forced to flee the country in the 30s with the Gestapo subsequently taking over the building during World War II. Suffering substantial bomb damage, the structure went on to house a dance school, a physio unit and finally a museum in the 90s. It has taken some time to bring this back to its former glory but the restoration has been a sensitive one, keeping much to the original design. Now a listed UNESCO heritage site, this remains a modernist architecture landmark, finally opening to the public this week. More on Villa Tugendhat here.
Click for more