1) Bay Cities Deli: for Santa Monica/ LA to have a deli 75% equivalent to deli’s I grew up with in NY is a plus for me. They also have a patented Italian bread that compares to no other. Order online and pick it up to avoid bullshit waiting.
2) Applepan: Burgers were perfected in LA and Applepan is my favorite. These guys have been doing the same thing for 40-50 years. Order the Hickory, fries and Apple Pie Ala Mode. Your good!
3) Ink: For the foodie in me I have to say iNK. do a tasting menu with wine pairing and your in good hands. Michael Voltaggio is #1 in LA when it comes to this type of eating. Order the oysters in the pot… my favorite.
4) Al Gelato: there are many decent Southern Italian spots in LA ( Cafe Angelino/ Dan Tana’s) but the best casual Italian is Al Gelato. Its the best of Italy with sweet tomato sauce, rigatoni and order the meatball is a must. The bread is unique and the best around. Save some room for a piece of chocolate cake or italian macaroon.
5) Sushipark: under the radar and super strict. These 2 elements always make the best sushi places. No menu, no bullshit. Go in and ask for them to feed you. That’s it. Best sushi maybe in all of California–.
Top 5 LA Restaurants:
Look out for more installments of Travel Tuesday, with locals giving you the best spots to hit on your next trip.