Apple's WWDC keynote gets underway later today, but it'll be hard to find any gossip juicier than this. As reported by Forbes, three posters claiming to be Foxconn employees have popped up on Reddit, posting a thread which gives away extensive information about Apple’s upcoming 2017 iPhone 8 and other products.
The posters, who have been verified and vouched for by forum moderators, claim the new iPhone will not be known as the "iPhone 8," but the “iPhone X." They then delve into technical details, confirming wireless charging, a new dual rear camera with vertical alignment, and retina scanning and facial recognition. In terms of design, it's said the phone will resemble the middle mock-up in the gallery above.
Find the 15 key points below.
1. The new iPhone is called the “iPhone X” (but it’s still unclear if this is a code name).
2. It will look like the middle phone in the main photo above.
3. There is a new dual rear camera with vertical alignment.
4. The front bezel will be thinner on the Y-axis.
5. Test units have Touch ID under the glass “but performance and yield rates were not good.”
6. No version is planned with a rear fingerprint scanner.
7. AuthenTech’s long standing Touch ID capacitive touch module has been replaced.
8. There will be Facial Detection and a Retina Scanner.
9. And plural: “front facing camera modules.”
10. RAM remains at 3GB like the iPhone 7 Plus.
11. The aluminum unibody is replaced by “composite glass.”
12. There’s wireless charging via a rear panel.
13. It will again be “water resistant” (no word if the rating has increased).
14. There is no USB-C, Apple is sticking with Lightning.
15. Production is indeed delayed.
Additionally, the posters have cast doubt on Apple's Glasses project. Work on the Apple home speaker is said to have been delayed, too.
Here's everything we know about the iPhone 8 so far.