If, as Kylie Jenner says, 2016 was the year of “realizing things,” then we’ve realized the world of viral YouTube videos, once a hotbed of the weirdest shit on the internet, has changed a fair bit.
Bedroom classics like “Numa Numa” (see below,) “Leave Britney Alone,” and “Chocolate Rain” have been replaced in large parts by highly choreographed, big-budget videos from huge corporations. Not that that’s necessarily a bad thing — I’m sure there’s plenty of people who’d rather watch Justin Bieber doing Carpool Karaoke than a nerdy teen lip-synching to terrible Euro pop.
As a litmus test to see exactly where we’re at in 2016, YouTube has collected the top 10 trending videos on its platform throughout the year, based on views, shares, comments, likes, and more. “Collectively these 10 videos have 550 million views and were watched for over 25 million hours,” it said in a statement.
The list includes a few “independent” funnies like a video of some brothers convincing their little sister of a zombie apocalypse, polished ones like Adele singing on James Corden’s “Carpool Karaoke,” and bizarre ones like a song about pens and pineapples.
Check them all out in full below, including who uploaded them and current view counts.
10. “Brothers Convince Little Sister of Zombie Apocalypse”
Cabot Phillips, 21.8 million+ views
9. “The $21,000 first class airplane seat”
Casey Neistat, 26.7 million+ views
8. “Donald Trump: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO)”
Last Week Tonight, 30.7 million+ views
7. “Channing Tatum & Beyonce’s ‘Run The World (Girls)’ vs. Jenna Dewan-Tatum’s ‘Pony’ | Lip Sync Battle”
Lip Sync Battle on Spike, 36.9 million+ views
6. “Water Bottle Flip Edition | Dude Perfect”
Dude Perfect, 40 million+ views
5. “Grace VanderWaal: 12-Year-Old Ukulele Player Gets Golden Buzzer – America’s Got Talent 2016”
America’s Got Talent, 46.4 million+ views
4. “Nike Football Presents: The Switch ft. Cristiano Ronaldo, Harry Kane, Anthony Martial & More”
Nike Football, 57.2 million+ views
3. “What’s inside a Rattlesnake Rattle?”
What’s Inside, 59.5 million+ views
PIKOTARO OFFICIAL CHANNEL, 95.5 million+ views
1. “Adele Carpool Karaoke”
The Late Late Show with James Corden, 135.9 million+ views
- Source: Business Insider