In an exclusive, The Telegraph reports that Terry Richardson has been banned from working with any magazines under the control of leading publisher Condé Nast. The media company owns titles such as Vogue, GQ, Glamour and Vanity Fair.
The Telegraph asserts that, in a leaked email, staff were told to kill or substitute commissioned works from Terry Richardson that had not been published yet.
It seems this is just the latest domino to fall in wake of the Harvey Weinstein scandal, to which the fashion world has already responded. Weinstein is facing sexual assault and harassment allegations from more than 40 women, including Angelina Jolie and Gwyneth Paltrow.
Richardson is known for his sexually explicit style and his photographs have, in the past, graced the covers of illustrious magazines. However, the photographer has been continually dogged by controversy and allegations of sexually exploiting his subjects.
In what The Telegraph describes as an email to “country presidents," James Woolhouse, the executive vice president and chief operating officer of Condé Nast, is said to have written:
I am writing to you on an important matter. Condé Nast would like to no longer work with the photographer Terry Richardson.
Any shoots that have been commission[ed] or any shoots that have been completed but not yet published, should be killed and substituted with other material.
Please could you confirm that this policy will be actioned in your market effective immediately. Thank you for your support in this matter.
Richardson's contract with the company had been in dispute for some time, with Vogue US stating in 2014 that they had no plans to work with the photographer in the future.
This alleged response comes after The Sunday Times published an article questioning the fashion industry’s continued use of Richardson as a photographer.
In other news, Lupita Nyong’o opens up about her own experience with Harvey Weinstein.