With augmented reality explored to its potential in Apple‘s iOS 11 release, IKEA has introduced a new app called IKEA Place, built using Apple’s new augmented reality ARKit, which includes 3D and true to scale models of everything from sofas and arm chairs, to foot stools and coffee tables.
Aimed to let people experience, experiment and share how good design transforms any space, the AR app essentially gives you an accurate impression of the furniture’s size, style and functionality in your home, instead of wondering how and if it fits your aesthetic.
“IKEA Place makes it easier to make buying decisions in your own place, to get inspired and try many different products, styles and colors in real-life settings with a swipe of your finger. Augmented reality and virtual reality will be a total game changer for retail in the same way as the internet. Only this time, much faster,” says Michael Valdsgaard, Leader Digital Transformation at Inter IKEA Systems.
More than 2,000 IKEA products are available in the app, with new inventory to be added in the future as well.
Now here’s how to use IKEA Place:
– Make sure you have upgraded your device to iOS 11.
– Download the IKEA Place app for free from the Apple App Store.
– Scan the floor in your place.
– Browse the list of products available in the app.
– Select a product that you want to place.
– Move and place the product into the space, it is as simple as that!
Also, IKEA is now selling solar panels and batteries for your home.