Elon Musk appears to have doubled down (or tripled down) on his claim that the British cave diver involved in last month’s Thai football team rescue mission is a “pedo.”
On Tuesday, the Tesla CEO tweeted in reply to former TechCrunch writer Drew Olanoff that it was “strange” that the diver, Vernon Unsworth, had not sued him, considering he was “offered free legal services.” He later added in a further response, “Did you investigate at all? I’m guessing the answer is no. Why?”
Last month, Musk referred to Unsworth as “pedo guy” after the Brit criticised his plans to use a mini-submarine to help rescue the boys’ football team trapped in a series of flooded caves in Thailand.
In an interview with CNN at the time, Unsworth called Musk’s presence a “PR stunt” and said the entrepreneur could “stick his submarine where it hurts.” Following the comments, Musk tweeted his unfounded “pedo” claim, and doubled down in another tweet: “Bet ya a signed dollar it’s true.” Both tweets were deleted soon after.
In July, Unsworth told the Guardian he was considering taking legal against Musk. That day, Tesla’s shares fell more than 3 percent, before Musk issued an apology a couple of days later, noting that “[Unsworth’s] actions against me do not justify my actions against him.”
In response to Musk’s most recent tweets, Unsworth told Sky News that he couldn’t comment, but did note, “It’s all being dealt with, that’s all I can say.”
Elsewhere in Elon Musk-land, here’s a brief history of the beef between him, Azealia Banks, and Grimes.